The Breast Health & Wellness Center is committed to cancer prevention, early detection and improved disease management. It is our goal to identify patients at high risk and empower these Ladies with the knowledge to seek proper screening and necessary surveillance in effort to find the disease at the earliest possible stage.
The Breast Health & Wellness Center offers:
- Risk Assessment including Gail Risk Model and Tyrer-Cuzick Risk Model
- Genetic Testing for BRCA 1 or BRCA 2 mutation
- Genetic Testing using myRisk Hereditary Cancer, a new multigene diagnostic test that will provide increased sensitivity by analyzing 25 genes associated with eight major cancers including: breast, colorectal, ovarian, endometrial, pancreatic, prostate, gastric and melanoma
- Individualized management strategies for women who test positive for the BRCA 1 or BRCA 2 mutation. This management includes consideration of the following risk- reduction measures:
- Prophylactic oophorectomy
- Prophylactic mastectomy
- Anti-hormonal therapy
- Increased surveillance, including breast MRI Digital Breast Tomosynthesis and breast Ultrasound
- Educational programs, town meetings, and classes that focus on educating the general community about screening guidelines, accessing care and early detection and treatment for breast cancer
- Alternative therapies and wellness programs, including weight management and dietary guidelines for cancer prevention
According to the CDC (Center for Disease Control and Prevention) Breast Cancer Risk Factors can be found at the CDC web site, click HERE for more information.
Having a risk factor does not mean you will get the disease. Most women have some risk factors and most women do not get breast cancer. If you have cancer risk factors, talk with our dedicated breast surgeon about screening for breast cancer.